British Columbia: Two presumptive coronavirus cases have been reported in B.C., confirmed the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.
The two cases have brought the total in the province to four.
Provincial health officer, Dr Bonnie Henry, on Thursday said that the two patients are a man and woman in their 30s visiting from China’s Hubei province.
The visitors are linked to a woman in her 50s, who was diagnosed earlier this week in the Vancouver area, said Dr Bonnie Henry.
Officials are confident that one of the newly diagnose people is the source of the novel coronavirus in that household, adds Henry.
The man displayed mild symptoms, so he did not seek medical attention, said Henry, adding that he “very likely” infected the older woman.
In a joint statement with Henry, B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said that their knowledge of the coronavirus continues to grow as new information becomes available.
“Vancouver Coastal Health continues to investigate,” Dix said.
“Their close contacts have been identified and continue to be followed by the health authority,” adds Dix.
The National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg confirmed the two new cases as coronavirus.
So far, the epidemic has claimed 908 lives and over 40,000 have been infected globally.
The WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak a global emergency on January 30. And days after the emergency was announced, the Chinese Central Government imposed a lockdown on 60 million people in Hubei province.
It is believed that the epidemic emerged in a live animal market in December in the Hubei province’s capital Wuhan.
Two people have died from the epidemic outside mainland China – a man from Wuhan in the Philippines and a 39-year-old man in Hong Kong.