BEIJING, CHINA: The death toll from coronavirus in China has jumped to 1,011 on Tuesday after China’s Hubei province reported 103 new fatalities.
There are more than 42,200 confirmed cases of coronavirus across China.
The death toll from coronavirus has exceeded the global number of deaths caused by the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus, which killed 774 people in 2002-03.
The World Health Organization said on Saturday that the number of cases being reported daily in China is “stabilising” – but cautioned that it was too early to say if the virus has peaked.
It is believed that the coronavirus originated from a wild animal market in the Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei Province in December last year.
According to state broadcaster CCTV, Chinese President Xi Jinping met with medical workers and patients affected at a Beijing hospital on Monday, where he called for “more decisive measures” to contain the outbreak.
A World Health Organization-led international expert mission team on the virus arrived in China late on Monday headed by Canadian physician and epidemiologist, Dr Bruce Aylward.
Dr Aylwrd supervised the 2014-16 response of the organization to the Ebola epidemic in West Africa.
On Monday, Britain recorded a doubling of the case to eight. The government warned the novel coronavirus outbreak was a “serious and imminent threat.”
The US embassy in China on Saturday confirmed that a 60-year-old US citizen diagnosed with the deadly coronavirus died on Thursday.
A Japanese man in his 60s with a suspected coronavirus infection also died in hospital in Wuhan, said the Japanese foreign ministry.
Meanwhile, two people have died from the epidemic outside the mainland: a man from Wuhan in the Philippines and a 39-year-old man in Hong Kong.