DUBAI: An Indian man suffered burn injuries while trying to save his wife from a fire at their apartment in Dubai, said police on Wednesday.
32-year-old Anil Ninan sustained 90% burn and is currently fighting for his life at the Mafraq hospital in Abu Dhabi, a close relative was quoted as saying in Khaleej Times.
“Doctors said his condition is very critical. We are all praying for him,” said Anil Ninan’s relative, who is in the hospital.
Anil’s wife Neenu is admitted to the same hospital and is in a stable condition.
“She (Neenu) is doing okay. She has only 10% burns and is recovering,” said the relative.
The couple has a four-year-old son together, report Khaleej Times.
The incident took place at their apartment in Umm Al Quwain on Monday night. And it is believed that a short circuit from the electric box placed in their apartment’s corridor caused the fire.
“We do not know the exact details. But Neenu first caught fire while she was in the corridor. Anil who was in the bedroom ran to his wife and was trying to save her when the flames spread to him,” said Rev Sojan Thomas, vicar of St Thomas Mar Thoma Church in Ras Al Khaimah, who knew the couple for more than a year.
“They are very religious and come to our church every week. We are all praying for Anil,” said the vicar.