A World Health Organization “international expert mission” has left for Beijing, China to help investigate the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, said WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Twitter.
WHO veteran Dr Bruce Aylward, a Canadian epidemiologist and emergencies expert, will head the team.
The epidemic has claimed 908 lives so far on the mainland, the National Health Commission (NHC) said on Monday.
There were 3,062 new confirmed infections on Sunday across mainland China – bringing the total to 40,171.
Tedros, who made a trip to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping and ministers in late January, returned with an agreement on sending an international experts mission.
The WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak a global emergency on January 30. And days after the emergency was announced, the Chinese Central Government imposed a lockdown on 60 million people in Hubei province.
It is believed that the epidemic emerged in a live animal market in December in the Hubei province’s capital Wuhan.
Meanwhile, Canada has currently seven cases of coronavirus, according to the Public Health Agency of Canda.Two people have died from the epidemic outside mainland China – a man from Wuhan in the Philippines and a 39-year-old man in Hong Kong. Get Breaking news and Latest News from India and around the world on GlobalPunjabTV.net.